Yesterday Obama delivered the State of the Union, the one day we all get to feel happy about everything we as a country are going to get done in the next year before realizing that none of it will actually happen.
I'm not going to give you a thorough analysis of Obama's speech, because there are a million of these on the internet that are much better than mine could ever be, but I will share with you ten things I learned yesterday about the state of our union.
1. Mitt Romney makes more than what I make in a year - every single day.
After releasing his tax returns to the public, we've learned that he made 21.7 million dollars in 2010. According to the IRS, the average median adjusted gross income is around $33,000. Romney makes more than that in a day. He also paid a tax rate of 13.9 percent, which is much less than the average middle-class American pays and less than other people in his income bracket pay.
2. The wealthiest 400 people in America now have more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans.
3. Obama said that women should earn equal pay for equal work. Yay Obama! But Boehner couldn't even clap. Did I miss something? Is equal pay a divisive, controversial, partisan issue?
4. Obama focuses on jobs and the economy, while it seems that Republicans and the Religious Right are mostly concerned with limiting access to women's rights. State of the Union vs. State of my Uterus!
5. The auto industry is back and there are going to be lots of green jobs and initiatives happening. That is great! But don't forget that these industries only employ a small number of women (approx 22% of jobs in the auto industry are held by women). Let's not make it a he-covery. Include women in recovery plans and jobs initiatives!
6. Obama wants all students to stay in school until they are 18 or get their diploma.
7. I love Gabrielle Giffords so much I tear up every time I see her.
8. I tear up every time I see Gabrielle Giffords' husband because he loves her so much that you can just feel it and it is the sweetest thing in the whole world.
9. Obama's joke was lame and Michelle Obama knew it. Major eye roll from Michelle (who totally rocked that blue dress).
10. The Republican response can be summed up by saying that the only thing they think Obama did right was kill bin Laden, and that they think Obama's statement that the rich should pay their fair share means he is super bossy and mean.